Skip to content

  • img_sec-splash1.jpg
  • img_sec-splash2.jpg
  • img_sec-splash3.jpg
  • img_sec-splash4.jpg
  • img_sec-splash6.jpg
  • img_sec-splash7.jpg
  • img_sec-splash8.jpg
  • img_sec-splash5.jpg
Home: Need Help? Find Community Assistance Here

Need Help? Find Community Assistance Here

Check out the local community resources listed below and ask for help if you need it.

Everyone needs help now and then.  This site exists to help you find credible and reliable community resources. State government, local governments and local non-profits have many resources that can help if you can just find the “right” service when you need it.

Health & Wellness

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has announced a new website called This new tool lets consumers take control of their health care by connecting them to information about quality, affordable health care coverage. is the first central database of health coverage options--from Medicare to the new Pre-Existing Conditions Insurance Plan, with information from more than 1,000 private insurance plans. answers questions that relate to people with disabilities and health care, and also has information about insurance plans and community services in every state. Take a video tour of this new website.

The White House announced a new web site,, that offers resources for the millions of Americans suffering from mental health issues. One of the resources is a "Treatment Locator" where web site visitors can type in their zip code and see what mental health services are offered in their area. For more information on the National Conference on Mental Health, please visit

Promoting Student Mental Health: School Resources for Undestanding Disorders and Getting Help


Minnesota’s Cold Weather Rule is in effect from October 15 through April 15 each year. The Cold Weather Rule protects residential utility customers from having their heat shut off, if they make and keep an affordable payment plan with their utility. The Cold Weather Rule applies to homeowners and renters who pay their own heat.

Contrary to popular belief, the Cold Weather Rule is NOT a moratorium on utility disconnections. In order to keep their heat on, or to reconnect their heat, customers must contact their electric and/or natural gas company to make and keep a payment plan.

Details about the program can be found at For additional information about the Cold Weather Rule, please contact the Public Utilities Commission at, 651-296-0406, or 1-800 657-3782.



Check the current status of the seasonal and H1N1 flu viruses., Contact your local public health department for immunization and disease information.

County Public Health Department Information

Falls Prevention
Falls are a major health issue especially for older adults and their family caregivers. Learn more.

Health Care Directives
Make sure others know your personal wishes if you cannot make decisions for yourself. Write a health care directive.
Memory care/issues


Employment Services:

Are you currently looking for a job? Considering a career change?  Interested in creating or updating your resume?  The area Workforce Centers have many programs and services that can help!
Information on  Employment Programs

Need to file for unemployment or need to know the status of benefit extensions?  Check the state unemployment website:

Personal Finance

Reliable financial information and services are hard to find.  The resources in the links below contain information families and individuals can use to expand their knowledge of personal finance. Whether you are experiencing a financial crisis, want a few extra dollars in the bank or want to fund college, these sites offers helpful ideas and tools to succeed.  

Dakota County Personal Finance
Attorney General Person Finance

Child Care

For those looking for childcare or those who need help funding child care.
Finding child care
Minnesota Resource and Referral
State center list by county.
Child Care Centers (Rule 3):
DHS licensing

Finding  child care by county

Child Care Payment Assistance by county:

Child Support

The Minnesota Department of Human Services and the local County Social Services and County Attorneys Offices have a child support program to help families provide for their children’s basic needs.  If you pay or receive child support, and you need help enforcing or modifying your court order, or you need a child support order to be established, or if you have a child born outside of marriage and need paternity established, these websites should help you find information about working with your county to get the help that you need.

Disabled Persons or Older Adults Needing Help

Call the Senior LInkAge Line® 1-800-323-2433 or the Disability LinkAge Line® at 1-655-333-2466 for information and assistance with services and support or visit:
Minnesota Board on Aging

DARTS is local service provider and source of information for older adults and their family caregivers in the Dakota County region.

DARTS 651-455-1339 Transportation
Ensuring mobility and community involvement through accessible ride services


The MN Telephone Equipment Distribution Program, provides special telephone equipment at NO COST for Minnesotans of all ages who have difficulty using a standard telephone due to a hearing loss, speech or physical disability.
There are applications available in Spanish, Hmong, Vietnamese, Russian, Somali and Arabic.
PDF link for the application in the language of your choice.


Grocery shopping service for Seniors Help at Your Door

Food Support (Food Stamps) apply in the County you live in.

Neighbors Food Shelf and supportive services.
Neighbors is a non-profit, social-service agency serving the Northern Dakota County communities of Inver Grove Heights, South St. Paul, West St. Paul, Mendota Heights, Mendota, Sunfish Lake and Lilydale. Primarily through the services of more than 530 volunteers and 31 faith communities, Neighbors provides 14 emergency assistance and supportive assistance programs.

Good diet and nutrition are necessary for good health.


Metro Transit
Public Transportation
Metro Mobility
A shared public transportation service for certified riders who are unable to use regular fixed-route buses due to a disability or health condition. Rides are provided for any purpose.
DARTS 651-455-1339 Transportation
Ensuring mobility and community involvement through accessible ride services

Reporting Abuse & Preventing Violence Information by county

Veterans Resources by County

Provides advice and assistance for veterans or their families filing claims for state and/or federal benefits, social security supplemental income benefits and other public and private programs.