Skip to content

  • img_sec-splash1.jpg
  • img_sec-splash2.jpg
  • img_sec-splash3.jpg
  • img_sec-splash4.jpg
  • img_sec-splash6.jpg
  • img_sec-splash7.jpg
  • img_sec-splash8.jpg
  • img_sec-splash5.jpg
Home: About Us : Our Church History

Our Church History

On December 13, 1893, 20 dedicated people gathered to worship in South St. Paul. That small group grew to a congregation and was incorporated as First Presbyterian Church in 1896. In September of that year, our first church building, at the corner of Fifth and Marie in South St. Paul, was dedicated.

In 1956, the congregation decided to build a new church. The following year the property at Fifth and Marie was sold and a new church location, at 20th and Wentworth Avenues, was dedicated. Our church building on this site was dedicated in February 1959. In 1993, to celebrate our100th birthday, we dedicated an addition which included new office space, the Commons, a large meeting room, a choir room, and a Youth Room.

In 2009, the church celebrated 50 years in the “new” church. All enjoyed the excitement of recognizing the members of founding families who were still part of the church as well as rejoicing with the many who have become part of our family in more recent history.

During our generations of ministry in South St. Paul, we have been committed to providing education for children and youth; financial support for overseas and local mission projects; continuing Christian education for people of all ages; a high-quality music program; and opportunities for women, men, youth and young adults, couples and older adults to participate in fun and educational events.

A photo gallery of the ministers who have served our church since 1893 is displayed in the Commons along with several of the original stained glass windows from the original church building.